Free CrossFit Workout Exercises
CrossFit is not the normal workout routine most of are used to. Instead of focusing on particular muscle groups, CrossFit prefers movements that incorporate the whole body, such as rowing, squatting, pushing, pulling, and running. With this in mind there are hundreds of CrossFit exercises that can be done at home or in a CrossFit affiliate gym. All of these exercises are based off of nine basic movements:
- Air Squats- Moving from a standing position into a squatting position.
- Front Squats - With weight in front of you resting on the shoulders, move into a squatting position then explode upwards.
- Overhead Squats - Holding the weight overhead move into a squatting position, make sure to keep the weight overhead for the whole process.
- Shoulder Press - Holding the weight in front of you, push upwards so that the weight is above your head. Slowly lower the weight back down.
- Push Press - With overhand grip, position bar chest high and tight to the torso. Bend the knees, hips and ankles slight, then explode upwards with the legs pushing the bar off the shoulders. Extend the arms over head, then return to the shoulders.
- Deadlift - Feet flat on the floor, squat down and grasp bar over hand shoulder width apart. Lift bar by extending hips and knees to a full standing position.
- Sumo Deadlift High Pull - Feet flat on the floor, squat down and grasp bar over hand shoulder width apart. Lift bar by extending hips and knees to a full standing position. Using the momentum of the lift, pull the bar to chin level. Elbows should flare out.
- Medicine Ball Cleans - Standing shoulder width apart, place the medicine ball between your feet. Squatting down, grip the ball with palms facing together. While holding the ball explode upward into a standing position. With the ball around the midsection drop down so that the ball is in a power clean position. From this squatting position stand back up again.
These moves are very basic and utilized throughout the CrossFit program. Although these moves are very basic it is still possible to injure yourself when attempting to do these moves. That is why it is important to make sure that you are in proper physical condition before attempting these moves. Also make sure that you are using the correct form and proper weight for every move. Otherwise the exercise will do more harm than good. It can be a good idea to enlist the services of a trainer if you want to start a CrossFit program to ensure you have the balance, stability, strength and proper form from the outset.