Diabetes can lead to serious health problems if left untreated. Currently, over 30 million Americans suffer from either type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes. Another 84 million have what’s called prediabetes, meaning that, without treatment or preventative measures, they will develop type 2 diabetes within the next five years. So, while it’s a good idea for all of us to ensure we aren’t going overboard with simple carbs or sugar, those living with diabetes must take it very seriously.
According to the American Heart Association, the risk of death from life-threatening strokes or heart disease for diabetics is two to four times greater than someone without the condition. If the condition isn’t managed properly, not only can these odds increase, but the odds of complications from other diabetes-related health issues, like nerve damage or kidney disease, can increase as well.
That’s why it’s so important for diabetics to not only avoid overeating, but to be aware of which foods are best for their conditions. But, by staying mindful and following advice from a physician, many diabetics can live largely unaffected by the side-effects of the disorder. So, if you or someone you know is a diabetic looking for food options, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 30 of the absolute best foods for diabetics to make a part of their diet.
Did you know...
- There are many factors that contribute to your body odor, but one of the strongest links is our diet. This may be some bad news for meat-lovers because many studies have shown that those who refrained from or ate less red meat were judged as being more pleasant smelling. The meat sweats are real, and they don’t smell great!
- Does your job make you stressed? We all know that stress is psychologically bad for you, but it also has an effect on…your allergies? A Harvard Medical School study has shown that stress causes your allergies to become worse because your body's defense response loses efficacy when repeatedly triggered by stress. Then, when you really need to physically fight something off, you're less able to!
- Need a quick cool down? Try drinking some hot liquid. It's true! As counterintuitive as it may seem, the heat from hot liquids will raise your body temperature. This will heat you up and cause you to sweat. The increased perspiration will wind up helping you feel cooler as it evaporates. Try it out!
- Are you currently or often tired? As contradictory as it may sound, one of the best things you can do is exercise! It gives you more energy by improving your blood flow and increasing your oxygen throughout your body. You don't need to do much; a brisk walk is all it takes!
- Do you know what the strongest muscle in your body is? No, it’s not your biceps or your thighs. It’s actually in your head. The masseter is a muscle in the jaw that is used when chewing. When all of the muscles of the jaw work together, they can exert a force as strong as 200 pounds on the molars. That’s some serious pressure.